Wednesday, June 13, 2012

First You Dream at Kennedy Center Rings OUR Bells

I guess I was about 12 when I first swooned over the music of Kander and Ebb. I'm not sure of the order, but let's say that I saw the Oscar-winning film Cabaret first with Liza Minnelli, and then the TV special Liza With a Z. For the film, Kander and Ebb needed a new song and wow, did they deliver with Maybe This Time. Then for the special, they needed something a little lighter for Liza and wrote Ring Them Bells.

It's interesting that in the new musical at the Kennedy Center called First You Dream: The Music of Kander and Ebb - I was lucky enough to see the initial performance last night - those two numbers deliver the highest impact. Ring Them Bells finishes a first act that introduces us to the six performers and goes through many of the musicals that this dynamic duo wrote. But like a strong surge that finishes a first half for a basketball team, Ring Them Bells sets up a powerhouse second act: Cabaret, the amazing Cell Block Tango from Chicago, New York, New York and, of course, Maybe This Time ("Everybody loves a winner..."). Patina Miller, fresh off of Sister Act on Broadway, will be a star, so you can say I saw her here first. Of the men, Matthew Scott tenors a very smooth Cabaret, and Alan H. Green gives us some funny moments.

There should be some discounht tickets available as the run proceeds. There's also a Yahoo Group from the Kennedy Center Ticket Office that gives out reduced and complimentary tickets. (Here's the link.)  That's where I got mine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment